Let’s face it…bad days are inevitable. Sometimes, you miss that train, you spill your coffee all over yourself first thing in the morning, you get in a fight with your significant other, or you burn the lasagna. Often, these things happen all in a row, or even because of each other. Other times, it might feel like your life has become a string of bad days, and you just can’t seem to shake off that permanent, pesky little rain cloud that keeps following you around everywhere*. In these instances, what in the heck is a girl supposed to do?? Here are my tips on how to gently guide yourself back into a positive mindset on a bluesy day.
1) Write down something that you’re grateful for that happened that day. It can be in a journal, your planner, a random scrap of paper, but write it down. Reminding yourself that your day did have a moment or two of brightness will make it easier to deal with whatever it is that’s bothering you.
2) Reach out to a friend. When I’m feeling stressed or down, I have a repertoire of ladies I know I can rely on to offer support, advice, or even just comic relief. A good vent session is often all I need to put my situation in perspective and turn my mood around.
3) Do something kind for someone else! Positivity breeds positivity people! Smile at someone else, hold open a door, offer a compliment. Sometimes, going out of your way to be nice to others results in being nicer to yourself, and eases you back towards your positive mindset.
4) Be productive. As difficult as it is to tackle anything if you’re feeling down or cranky, forcing yourself to get absorbed in a task could help you ditch the bad mood and get back on track with a positive mindset. Whether it’s cooking, writing, cleaning your apartment, or finishing a project, accomplishing a task can often help lift your mood.
5) Shake your booty! Or go for a walk! Try a yoga sequence. Play some upbeat music and do anything to get your body moving and grooving; exercise often helps me to release stress and negative emotions.
What do you do to try and stay positive? Any tips of your own? I’d love to hear!
*This post is entirely intended for relieving the day-to-day blues and trying to regain a positive mindset. If you or someone you know suffers from serious symptoms of depression, or any similar disorder, I urge you to seek the help you need. More information is available here.