For reasons unknown, I have always loved waking up early in the morning. There’s something so satisfying about greeting the day when most of the world is still asleep, and knowing that I have a good chunk of time to myself before I leave the apartment. Over the past few months, I’ve been establishing a morning routine that pushes me to use that extra time to get myself ready to tackle the rest of my day. Full disclaimer: I don’t have it down to an exact science, and it definitely doesn’t happen every day. However, on the mornings that I do rise and grind, I’ve noticed that for the rest of the day I’m more productive, have more energy, and feel genuinely much happier. What’s not to love about that?
I’ve really been loving this routine, and I do think that the early wake-up call is 100% worth it. And so, without further ado, here she is:
1) 4:00~4:15 AM: Wake up and drink a glass of water! I’m always thirsty when I wake up, and I find a cold glass of water perks me right up first thing in the morning. PS- I KNOW that this is incredibly early, but since I need to be out of the house by 6:30 AM to be at work on time, there’s no other way around this wakeup time if I want a couple hours to myself at the beginning of the day.
2) 4:15-4:20: Water in hand, I like to head straight to my desk and jot down something that I’m grateful for or looking forward to in my gratitude journal. This small act takes all of five minutes, and truly helps set a positive tone for the rest of my day.
3) 4:20-4:30: Write my to-do list in my Erin Condren planner. Even though I often add more items to this list as the day goes on, I feel more prepared to tackle the day if I have a rough roadmap of what I need to accomplish beforehand.
4) 4:30~5:15ish: Sweat session. Since most of my afternoons are jam packed with class, homework, or errands and chores, if I want to work out, it needs to happen in the morning. I’ve recently been LOVING this HIIT (high intensity interval training) program from Way of Gray. I will not lie…they’re hard, but I always feel amazing afterwards.
5) 5:15-6:15: Shower, get dressed, apply makeup, etc. I try to squeeze in another glass or two of water during this “get ready” time.
6) 6:15-6:30: Make coffee, a green smoothie, pack my lunch, and GO!
What does your morning routine look like? Any tips to make waking up easier? I’d love to hear!