When it comes to doing my hair every morning, the word that comes to mind is…simple. I’ve been growing my hair out for a little over a half a year now, and between its length, getting used to my bangs again, and my lack of sophisticated hair styling skills, my go-to do’s are usually very low key. And let’s be real, I’m around 6th graders all day, and they could care less what I look like anyhow.
That being said, I do want to look professional and stylish (read: look like I’m ‘adulting’) while I’m at work, going out with friends, or having a date night with T. Here are my go-to styles for when I want to look put together, without investing too much time getting ready.
1) Low, messy pony: Okay, I know I’m hardly break new ground here, but this hairstyle is one of my favorites for days when I know I’ll be running around. I don’t like how my hair looks tied back in a ponytail if it’s in its natural state, so I usually whisk my straightener over the top layer of my hair before tying it back for a smoother effect.
2) Sleek half-up half-down: I’m not entirely crazy with how my hair looks completely down after straightening it, so I usually tie half of it back to add a little volume. This do takes about 10 minutes to throw together, which is ideal on mornings when I’m running a tad late!
3) Top Knot: This is by far one of my favorite hairstyles. I have some layers in my hair right now that make it difficult to wrestle it into a bun, so this look works best on me when I’m between shampoos and my hair has a bit of product in it.
4) Curly with pinned back pieces: This do requires more of a time investment, but it does the trick on days when I want to look a little more polished. To style, I wrap small sections of my hair around the barrel of a 1″ curling iron in alternating directions around my whole head. Then, I grab two same-ish sized pieces from the front of my hair, loosely twist them once, and pin them to the side of my head. The curls make this look feel a little more elevated, while pinning back the front pieces keeps my hair out of my face while I’m running around my classroom all day.
5) Curly: This look is my overall favorite, but as its the most time consuming, I usually reserve it for date nights or dressier occasions.
What are your favorite hairstyles? I’d love to hear!